About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Sunday 20 June 2010

Checking out the Oxford Canal




















A day out in Oxford .............
Not by Hallmark unfortunately but by First Great Western.
Round the back of Oxford railway station is the Oxford Canal.
I visiting not just for a Sunday walk. I want to make sure I know where you gain entrance to the canal from the River Thames.
I quickly find Isis Lock, which is the southernmost lock on the canal which links the canal to the River Thames.  The link between looks far more complicated on a map (see link http://thames.me.uk/s01790.htm) than it is when you go and walk it!
So that done I am off for a walk.
My other concern is the lift bridges.

Hover my concerns were reduced when initially all seem to be in the open position.
Although I eventually do find one down and start to have a good look at the chains and the balance mechanism.
Its a good walk but mooring are scarce near the city and Jericho.  There are lots of residential moorings and conservation areas where the banks have been allowed to 'return to nature'.
There are plenty of canoes about and only a few narrowboats on the move.
Where are they............
Certainly not in this lock at Wolvercote!
The canoe club have taken over the lock for their lunch stop.  some of the 'team' have even got their gas stoves up and running with frankfurters being heated!



















Soon it is time for a stop and not to far off the canal path is The Plough (about 100 yards from bridge 236.
By all account the pub was popular with bargees in the 1890s.
It remains popular today and serves great real ales and super food!



No comments:

Post a Comment