About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Monday 20 June 2011

Fenny Compton to Elkington Lock and Clattercote Wharf


5 miles:   5 locks

I stayed on a Fenny to get the engine checked over.
I had a bit of concern about the engine running a little hot on the last two long and lock-less days.
John the mechanic promised to be at Hallmark by 2:30 he arrived at 4.:00 He checked the wed hatch again and ran a few other checks.
The problem was certainly a clogged stainer in the water cooler.
Hallmark finally chugged away from The Wharf just before 5:00
























A bit of a challenge to get to Broadmoor Lock,one up from Cropredy before twilight.
The late afternoon was pleasant and there bits of sun about.
The straight and narrow run through what once the cutting and Fenny Tunnel went well.
No passing boats!



































Despite thus Hallmark was at Claydon Top Lock with an hour. 


The run had gone well so far.

























Then the sky completely changed.
There was no doubt we were in for a storm.
Then heavens opened. 
It was wet. 
Very wet indeed!




















This was my third time on the Claydon Five and each time I got soaked.
Lock in the rain are not fun!
At lock 19 I left a top paddle open as I tried to drain the lock idealised eventually as the lock would not empty.  I ended up almost draining the pound above
I did the rest of the flight with no more silly errors.
But it was a long haul five locks in two hours.
Not good going.
The rain was too heavy and the light was fading Hallmark had just pasted Clattercote Wharf although there was no piling I pulled over just up from Elkington's Lock (22).
I had really gone pass the time to stop.
It was a mallet and pins job but the ground was firm.
I had a hot soup and decided I could catch up of the 'missing' locks in the morning and get to Banbury on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment