About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Elkington Lock to Banbury


7 miles:    7 locks 

The sunrise awoke me through the porthole by the bedroom I did't roll over and got up around 5:15 and had breakfast and did the engine checks which I hadn't done the night before because of the heavy rain.



















I walked back to look at Clattercote Wharf.



















An early start would be good as I could make up for the short run of yesterday and be in Banbury just boats left their overnight mooring in the town.
It was nine locks down to Banbury.
It was interesting the the two live-aboard below Broadwater Lock had gone.
This is where I left Hallmark for almost a week on my way up the Oxford.
I soon cruising through Cropredy narrows where the tolls were paid in times gone by and the by the old coal wharf there were plenty of boats on the visitor moorings.







































After Cropredy the canal links up again with Cherwell and makes lots of twists and turns on the way to Banbury.



















There is no longer a mill anywhere Slat Mill Lock and the river, canal and railway trundle along together and by Hardwick Lock the M40 makes it northern most crossing of the canal
Then suddenly Banbury is upon you and there area couple of miles of ring roads which really alter the peace of the canal.



















There are plenty of moorings above Tooley's Boatyard in the 'shadow' of the immense Castle Quay shopping centre.



















So by 10:45 I am all tied up and do a bit of cleaning and polishing in anticipation of Maggie's arrival.
I also trundle the toilet down to the BW facilities and walk up to Morrison's to stock up with food.
Maggie arrived 5:30pm and decide to take her car to Aynho Wharf so we have the car half way along  tomorrow's route.
Aynho is a great place to eat with The Great Western Arms offer top quality food.

No comments:

Post a Comment