About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Thursday 12 May 2011

Thrupp to Lower Heyford

5 locks:   8 miles

At 7:30am I started Hallmark's engine and untied the bow and stern ropes and then set off on foot to the Thrupp electric lift bridge.
Once raised I ran back, untied the centre rope and chugged down and under the open bridge.
All this to save tieing up!
Despite this planning I made a real hash of trying to come alongside the water point and to crown it a lorry arrived at the bridge whilst it was still open.
In the end I did not fill up.
Hallmark slowly made it's way through Thrupp  Crusing Club boats moored on both sides of the canal.  There were loads.




















Then the first real lift bridge of the day. 
Three failed attempts saw it crashing down! 
I was finally saved by the owner of a nearby boat.
Had I woken him?
Next was Shipton Lock has a diamond shaped chamber and takes an age to fill




















Then Dusty the fuel boat arrived and I glide alongside and fill up with 20 litres of great value diesel.
He recounts stories of winter and how he tried to deliver during the big freeze




















Four locks follow at various distances I am lucky as at almost everyone along came a boat with it's crew to assist.
I met Stephen on his way to Nottingham.
He is taking Five months out from his public sector post.
While he motors along making his way through locks his partner runs a public relations company from the boat's saloon.
The Oxford Canal is arguably one of the very best of English canals.

It is at it very best between Thrupp and Heyford.
It spends its time with and alongside the river Cherwell.
The landscape is nothing but stunning.
At one stage it runs through the heart of a woodland and you find yourself in an emerald tunnel of overhanging trees.




































Lower Heyford is dominated by the wharf that is home to Oxfordshire Narrowboats there are also a good number of there blue and yellow boats on the 14 day moorings.





















I spot a vacant mooring in front of a very well kept red Springer

No comments:

Post a Comment