About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Saturday 14 May 2011

Lower Heyford to Aynho Wharf

3 Locks      6 Miles

I took the train from Ealing Broadway to Lower Heyford making a good connection in Oxford.
So I was back at Hallmark by 8:15.
It was a very, very early start from Acton but this meant we left Lower Hayford at 8:40
Lift bridge 205 is unusual as it is made of iron rather than the usual wood.
By all account this was to take the weight of the miller's traction engine.
The bridge was down but a friendly walker gave a hand
Just before the first lock of the day which is Allen's Lock you get a fine view of an attractive cluster of stones buildings on the hillside.





















For much of the morning pollarded Willows lining the canal bank.
But there were also plenty of cows around too.




































Just as we are going under Bridge 201 and coming up to Heyford Common Lock smoke and steam is everywhere.
I quickly aim for the bank and switch the engine off.
Here is where Hallmark ended up.
Actually a nice spot!

























The engine temperature is sky high.
Has something got blocked?
I call River and Canal Rescue.
Help is three hours away.
I then realise how remote we are!
So an early lunch is called for while I wait for the engineer.
After lunch I track down the fault.
One of the joints on the domestic water system has broken and the raditator has overheated.
Eventually the RCR engineer arrived and makes a temporary repair and refills the system.
He gives good advice about a 'proper fit' at Aynho Dock or Tooleys in Banbury
The engineer acompanies me to the Heyford Common Lock and checks things again.
All is OK and he starts his three mile work back to his van!
Great service RCR!
Somerton Deep Lock is a very deep lock. Here is Hallmark slowly entering.



















As I leave Somerton I am warned about problems with lift bridge 193.
When I get there it opens easily enough and begin to wonder what the problem was!
But getting it closed seems impossible.
I even think about chugging on and leaving me key in the lock which is 10 feet high.
In the end I get a beer out of the fridge and sit on the bridge and wait and wait.................




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Eventually after an hour has passed two walkers coming to sight.
They are willing to help.
It takes all three of us to get the bridge closed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After no further mishaps Hallmark arrives at Aynho Wharf.
Unfortunately it is two hours after site has closed for the day.
I moor up and fill up with water and decide to stay on the mooring till the shop opens on Sunday.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'll cross the car park and head for the Great Wester Arms and then there is a stunning sunset to see.
 










No comments:

Post a Comment