About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Saturday 21 August 2010

Day 21: Brentford lock to Molesey and home

Maggie was up at 06.00am and off home to Acton.  She was sailing in Southampton and had to get her car.  I was up at 6.45am.
There was quite a bit of preparation to do before ‘making the big turn home’.
The anchor was inched out of the gas locker (it was a tight fit) and its chain and rope shackled together.  All was then lifted ready on to the front deck.
I did another engine check of water and oil and another few turns on the stern greaser.
 By 9.00am other boats started to arrive. There were soon about 15……….  Those I spoke to were pre-booked.  I had not!
I may have to wait till next week.  It did not matter.  There was no rush a few days in Brentford



















There were now three narrow boats now moored on the wall in front of me.  
Bang on 11.00am two lock keepers appeared and started calling boats into the first lock of the day.
I was then signalled too and told to move quickly into the second lock.
Hallmark was going home today!



















The greatest adventure yet was about to begin!
I felt more confident about tunnels after Braunston and Blisworth
Would I be able to sort turning into the tidal Thames?
 There was just one other boat in the lock as the water was emptied..
It was a calm Brent creek as Hallmark chugged out of Thames Lock and down to the River Thames
 I headed for the large orange buoy opposite the creek’s entrance and held back on my turn till I could see whether the river was clear.
It wasn’t ………….. a couple of scullers had decided to stop and discuss something right in front of my path!  I gave them a long blast to warn them I was coming
I have pushed forward the accelerator ‘to give it welly’
My confidence grew and grew!
Hallmark turned easily to take me up river to Richmond, Teddington and our  home mooring.
So I had succeeded in bring Hallmark out of Brentford and heading home single handed. Wow! 
I had not cut the turn like the boat in front who was now going far to close to the entrance to the old railway dock entrance which provides entrance to a private marina for the apartments



















It was very windy and the river was very choppy.  In fact it was quite unpleasant but I knew once we got to the first bend things would improve.
I had to realty concentrate as we ‘steamed’ past the Royal Botanic Gardens and Old Deer Park both present a rugged view to the Thames.



































Within a few minutes the pink Pavilion Boathouse and London Apprentice were in sight.  I could not see Syon House at all. 
The wind and waves reduced but we were still being blown around..




































Isleworth Ait arrived.
I remember the clear and advice from the Brentford lockkeeper ‘keep all island on your right’
 Amazingly as Hallmark passed Isleworth Ait I could already see Richmond Lock on the starboard side and five arched bridge with the sluices across the river..
Which arch I thought? 
No problem ………follow the narrow boat in front!

.

















Next was Eel Pie Island tries which hides Twickenham from the main river.
The hotel where the Rolling Stones and other famous groups played in the sixties has long burnt down.  But the inventor of the clockwork radio still liverd on the island.

Richmond really does make the best of its river frontage. Loads of people were out and about just sitting or walking along by the stylish buildings. 



















I have always admired the design of Richmond Bridge (built in 1777) and today it looks truly great.



















After Richmond Bridge the Thames makes a big sweep up by Petersham Meadows on its tidal journey to Teddington
On this stretch I notice for the first time Hammerton’s Ferry.
How have I missed it all the times I have chugged on this stretch?
The ferry established in 1909 is still going strong linking Marble Hall and Ham House on opposite backs. Costs have risen from the orginal one penny to £1.



















I marvel at how far I have come so quickly.  Hallmark is approaching the end of the tidal Thames at Teddington.  We have covered the three and a quarter miles to Teddington in around one and a quarter hours.
 The Barge Lock gates are open as Hallmark arrives.  But the traffic lights are on red. So I keep going round the corner to the Launch Lock. 



















It is already being filled with boats and there is going to me no room for Hallmark and loads of other narrow boats.
 Within a couple of minutes even more narrow boats arrive. 
Those boats which left Limehouse at 9.00am and come down the Thames via central London have caught up the Brentford boats.

















Hallmark actually gets into the very front of the Launch Lock for its next filling.  It is crammed full with three boats abreast.  I made it 14 boats crammed in!Kingston has two bridges one for rail and the other for road,.It also has a great river frontage but its mostly far more modern than Richmond.  At one end of the town has a massive John Lewis department store emphasising Kingston’s importance as a shopping centre.  At the other end of the town the Italianate tower of St Raphael’s Catholic church looms over the riverbank.





































Meanwhile Hallmark heads towards Thames Ditton.  I had thought of pulling over to get some gas and water at Thames Marina but decided to leave it and get home.



















It is then just a short run to Hampton Court and its place and gardens.  This is a popular mooring place and its is always difficult to find a space after about 2.00pm.  The gilded gates on the riverside of the gardens are just remarkable!



















Through Hampton Court Bridge I can see a good few narrowboats waiting to go through Molesey Lock.  Hallmark ends up being double parked alongside a 10 foot wide beam.  What a friendly boat load of people off for a Saturday BBQ down river!



















Worryingly there are two small plastic day boats with canopies waiting to go into the lock.  Steel and fibreglass do not go well together in a lock.  I was glad to be at the back of the lock and they looked very flimsey!  As Hallmark cruised out of the lock I realised that this ‘great adventure’ was soon to end.
So near home it becomes so familiar.  The Hampton Reach has a fine visa dominated by the parish church where Jim was confirmed.
I never tire of it ..................Taggs IslandHurst Park, Garrick Ait and its wonderful houseboats.
Then finally its Port Hampton.




































Hallmark’s home mooring was in view as I crossed over at the end of Platt’s Eyoit to chug in slowly and moor up for the last time.  My mooring up was a bit hectic.  The lines usually laying coiled ready on the two pontoon had disappeared and I seemed to have got the approach angle wrong.  Finally Hallmark is attached but first with the centre line pontoon poles.  The proper lines are there…………..however they are in the water, probably kicked off the decking by fishermen while Hallmark was away.
So Hallmark is back on its home mooring.
Lady Minley sits in front.
The sun sets in its wonderous way over Sunnyside Reservoirs.



















Hallmark is home at last.
Three weeks to the day. 
I did it!!
What a great adventure. 
What an experience
So much to remember!
Where next and when is the question?

No comments:

Post a Comment