About Me

My photo
Enjoying taking photos, blogging and travelling on NB Hallmark .

Friday 3 June 2011

Hockley Heath to Gas Street Basin

0 locks:  15 miles
As you journey around the bottom of Birmingham between Hockley and Kings Norton the city seems so far away.
There were no locks and for much of the way trees border the canal.
Lots of oak and willow.

























Just before the Kings Norton comes Brandwood Tunnel.
Its really short at 275 yards, but I managed to hit the sides a good number of times!



















The Stratford upon Avon canal comes to an end with a disused guillotine lock.



















I am at Kings Norton.
Birmingham city centre is five miles away
I turned Hallmark right onto the Worcester and Birmingham Canal.
The junction marked by a fine Junction house and a detailed signpost.




















I had hoped to stop near Kings Norton and then do the last lap into Gas Street the next day.
But thee were no obvious moorings and all the guide books advised you not to moor up on most of the way into Birmingham.




















Water levels on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal were low and progress was slow
The day was getting hotter.
Hallmark's engine was working hard.
We had been chugging non-stop for over six hours
I began to think the oil pressure was not all it should be,
The railways runs alongside the canal for most of the to the city centre and at Selly Oak you cross a brand new aquaduct.




















There is pleny of industrial presence for much of the early part factory wall provide a boundary on the non-tow path side.
Some of the industrial landscape was derelict and awaiting redevelopment.
The route 'greens up' once Selly Oak arrives.
Then Birmingham University dominates both sides of the canal.



















Edgbaston is only a short tunnel.
It has a tow path and sodium lighting.
I kept Hallmark straight all the way!




















I have been planning to take Hallmark to Gas Street for longer than I remember.
I tried last year but ran out of time.
So it was quite a wonderful feeling as I got closer
Suddenly Hallmark was almost there a sharp left turn at The Mailbox and you could see the heart of the English canal system right there!

























We had made it
Just before the Worcster Bar were some empty moorings and I glided tired into a space and tied up.
I was going to chill out here for three or four days and savour Birmingham.
Here is the Mailbox buzzing in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment